Date: July 2, 2009 11:18:20 AM EDT
Anne Bauer Godsey

Hi John,


Your video project had me cleaning out closets to find old photos - thanks for the incentive!! I've attached quite a few, so you may have to be selective.


After graduating from SHS, I attended the University of Florida as a journalism major - I had enjoyed working with Mr. Kopel, and our classmates Chip Anderson, Jon Peters, Sue Dawson, and Jim Rinehart on the school newspaper, literary magazine, and year book, and had dreams of becoming a famous foreign correspondent.  However, love intervened in my educational pursuits, so I got married and had a daughter, Kathleen (Kathy). The marriage didn't last, so I found myself back at the University of Florida, with Kathy in tow, and completed my Bachelor of Arts in English Education, magna cum laude.  While at UF, I met Jerry, who was getting his MBA in Marketing.  We married on graduation day, and in good time, Jerry adopted Kathy.


Immediately following graduation, Jerry accepted a job with the Coca-Cola Company.  After a short stint in Atlanta, Jerry transferred to the International Division of Coke, and we were sent to Puerto Rico for two years (1968-1970).  Kathy attended 2nd and 3rd grades at Parkville Elementary School and I taught 1st grade in the same school, even though I was a certified high school teacher.  In Sept. of 1970, Coke transferred us to Tokyo, Japan, where we spent seven (1970-1977) wonderful years.  I taught English as a Second Language (ESL) for 5-1/2 years at Aoyama Gakuin University and worked for Peat, Marwick, Mitchell editing market research reports and writing a monthly economic newsletter. Kathy attended the International School of the Sacred Heart (grades 4-10) and was a successful model for teen magazines. We had a daughter born in Japan with spina bifida, a birth defect, but sadly, she lived for only five months.  Japan provided many opportunities for us to travel not only in Japan, but to many other countries as well, greatly enriching our experiences.  I have been to 76 countries, and Jerry has been to nearly 100 countries.  Kathy traveled with us as well.  We also developed a keen interest in Japanese art and antiques.  We have a contemporary Japanese print collection that is listed in "Who's Who in American Art," from the 1980 edition.


Our return to Atlanta in the summer of 1977 resulted in "reverse culture shock."  We had been abroad for nine years (1968-1977) and had a lot of catching up to do with American culture.  Jerry's job was international, so although we lived in Atlanta, he was constantly traveling abroad.  Kathy finished grades 11 and 12 at Riverwood HS in Atlanta, and then went on to graduate from Georgetown University in Washington. DC.  I taught Junior and Senior English at Riverwood HS for four years. After teaching Japanese students for so many years,  it was a big shock to teach in an American high school.  After six years in Atlanta (1977-1983), we missed Asia and our expatriate lifestyle, so Jerry decided to resign from Coca-Cola and accepted a job with Atari, maker of video games and computers.  In June 1983, Atari sent us to Singapore. 


We thoroughly enjoyed Singapore, even though our time there was short (June 1983-Feb. 1985).  It's clean, green, and everything works.  The food is amazing!  While Jerry traveled the Southeast Asian region for Atari, I participated in study groups with the National Musuem and became a docent.  However, all good things came to an end when Atari was sold and thousands of people lost their jobs overnight, including Jerry.  We decided to take the severance settlement and remain in Singapore to find another job. Finally, Jerry was offered a position in Jakarta, Indonesia with a local distributor for many Western products, including Revlon, Gillette, etc. 


Living in Jakarta, Indonesia ("third world Asia") was far different from our experiences in Tokyo and Singapore ("first world Asia").  Although houses were palatial, nothing inside worked on a regular basis.  Electricity, telephone, and water services were frequently interrupted. Also, security was a problem in Jakarta, whereas Tokyo and Singapore are among the safest cities in the world. Nevertheless, after about a year, we learned to enjoy Indonesia and traveled extensively throughout Java, Bali, and Sumatra, just three of the main islands of the archipelago. My time was occupied primarily as a docent at the National Museum of Indonesia and participating in study groups with the Museum's Ganesha Volunteers.  We remained in Indonesia from Feb. 1985- June 1987. 


Meanwhile, a "headhunter" had contacted Jerry about a job in Macau as General Manager of the Coca-Cola Bottling Co., a local franchise held by a Chinese family. We moved to Macau in September, 1987. At that time it was a dusty backwater compared to its glory days in the 16th century as a trading entrepot.  We arrived just as the handover of Hong Kong to China was being negotiated with the British, and the Portuguese decided to return Macau to China as well, but 2-1/2 years later, in Dec. 1999.  We remained in Macau for 14-1/2 years, and saw tremendous change and progress not only in Macau, but in China as well. It was an interesting and exciting time to be there, and we were very lucky to attend all of the handover ceremonies when Macau was returned to China. Although Macau had a much smaller expatriate community than Puerto Rico, Tokyo, Singapore, or Jakarta, and almost no American businessmen, we had a busy and fulfilling life there.  I taught for 10 years at the University of Macau, first as an ESL teacher and later as a lecturer in computer software. I also became Coordinator (similar to Dept. Chair), of the English Studies Communications program, one of the largest degree programs in the university. Both Jerry and I became heavily involved in local social and charitable activities.  I served as President of the International Ladies Club of Macau and was on the Board for 12 years in other capacities.  Jerry was President of the only English-speaking Rotary Club in Macau.  We continued to travel extensively in Asia and Europe.  We were thrilled when Kathy and her husband Patrick transferred to Hong Kong with an American company in 1995.  They are still in Hong Kong (with a brief 18-month interlude in Singapore), and plan to remain there as long as they both have jobs. They also enjoy the expatriate lifestyle with the cultural and travel opportunities it offers.


After spending nearly 20 years abroad the second time, and 9 years the first time, we returned to Atlanta in April 2002 to retire.  We had outgrown our house in Sandy Springs, and built a new one in East Cobb (Marietta).  Atlanta is an international city and offers many opportunites to maintain our international interests.  I've served as President of the International Club of Atlanta as well as the Tomodachi Club, the women's group of the Japan-America Society of Georgia. We are active in the Georgia Council for International Visitors, the High Museum, the Atlanta History Center, the Atlanta Preservation Center, and the Georgia Trust for Historical Preservation.  In fact, Jerry and I often say that we keep so busy as retirees that we have no idea how we ever had time to go to work!!


We have been blessed with a "fairy tale' life and are very thankful for our good health, the love of our families and friends, the opportunity to travel, and the life we have been so privileged to enjoy in other countries and cultures.  The last 50 years have been more than I could have dreamed of in 1959!!


I am very much looking forward to seeing everyone at the reunion in October.  





Anne Bauer Godsey's Atlanta Party
Our dinner at Anne's home was delightful last night.  No one threw tomatoes at the reunion movie...that was a good thing.  I'll make a few revisions, add at least three more classmates...more if some come in between now and Sept. 1st.  So, the final final cut is Sept. 1st.